Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 20:33:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: Bill Oegerle
Subject: FUSE IOC, July 1

FUSE IOC news, July 1, 1999

Yesterday's activities concluded with the successful turn-on of the
FPAEs (focal plane assembly electronics boxes), and successful
conclusion of the bright object sensor - bright earth test.  The BOS
did not trigger when the boresight passed over the earth.  We then
slewed to the southern continuous viewing zone (CVZ), where we will
spend most of our time over the next few weeks).  Almost everything
is turned on at his point, and all continues to go very well.

Today was spent checking out FES-B.  Tests included an ADC reset
procedure, a decontamination heater test, a TEC test, and several
imaging tests. The thermo-electric cooler (TEC) was set at -40 deg C.
Two full field of view images were obtained, binned 1x1
and 2x2.  These images showed the expected dark current level, as
well as a few cosmic rays.  During execution of the image-taking script,
a script error was encountered (now understood) which resulted
in FES-B needing to be rebooted.  This was performed without problem.
The image-taking script was re-executed later this afternoon without
error.

We are experiencing some telemetry drop-outs at the Hawaii ground station,
which may (or may not) be related to FUSE's antenna null pattern.  This
null pattern is due to interference between FUSE's two omni antenna
beams.  So, some time was spent today analyzing the downlink signal
to Hawaii at different satellite orientations.

Reported by: Bill Oegerle, Science Ops Lead

Return to the List of Status Reports