FUSE Mission Status Report

Mission Status Report #4      Star Date: June 27, 1999

Photo: FUSE launch photo, courtesy of NASA. (Click photo to see larger version.)

FUSE CHECKOUT CONTINUES ON TRACK

Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 17:00:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Bill Oegerle
Subject: FUSE IOC, June 26

FUSE IOC (in-orbit checkout), day 3

FUSE continues to operate well.

On a gorgeous summer day, we were all huddled in the windowless control
room at JHU, waiting to turn on the instrument flight computer (IDS).
At noon, we turned on IDS-B (the backup IDS) and turned it off.  We then
turned on IDS-A.  At a subsequent ground station pass, IDS-A was
successfully booted to application mode.  We were biting our nails when
the bulk-memory manager test gave an "error" message, but it turned out
that in this case the message indicated a "normal" completion! So, we have
all 48 MB of bulk memory available with no bad memory blocks.

We are trying to accelerate the schedule a little, and turn on the
IPSDUs (instrument power system distibution units) later today.  If we
can get this done, then we can start loading and activating the thermal
control tables a day early.  The sooner we get started on this the better --
this allows the structure to bake out more, and will hopefully result in
an earlier turn-on of the FUV detector.

The SCC (satellite control center) is working well, and our
communications with TDRSS, and ground stations at Hawaii and Puerto Rico
have been good.  There is a software problem at Hawaii preventing us
from fully utilizing this site, but this should be fixed soon.

    --Bill Oegerle, Science Ops Lead

Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 09:27:37 -0400
From: JB Joyce
Subject: FUSE Status Report-June 27,1999

Please be advised of the latest FUSE status:

    * All primary spacecraft subsystems continue to function nominally
     - Spacecraft subsystem monitoring and trending are ongoing

    * FUSE Satellite Control Center Systems continue to operate nominally
     - JHU/UPRM ground station support is nominal

    * Instrument Data System-A (IDS-A) powered on successfully

    * Both Instrument Power Switching Data Units (IPSDU-A and-B) powered on
      - all currents, voltages, and temperatures are nominal

    * Thermal Control Tables Loaded

 Planned Activities:

    * Activate Thermal Control

    * Continue activation and checkout of IDS-A
     - Load projects,load/dump tables

   *  J.B.Joyce                       *
   *  FUSE Mission Operations Manager *

Reported by: Bill Oegerle, Science Ops Lead, and J. B. Joyce, Mission Operations Manager

Return to the List of Status Reports